Creamy Non-Cheese Sauce
This is a vegan cheesy sauce recipe that is a good healthy alternative when you want a creamy sauce for something.
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 15 min
Total time: 20 min
Yield: 4 cups
- 2 tablespoons shallots, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup non-hydrogenated margarine
- 1 cup Yukon potato, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup raw cashews, washed
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon organic Dijon mustard, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- In a saucepan, add shallots, potato, carrot, onion and water and bring to a boil. Cover the pan and simmer for 15 minutes, or until vegetables are very soft.
- In a blender, process the cashews, salt, garlic, 1/3 cup margarine, mustard, lemon juice, and cayenne. Add softened vegetables and cooking water to the blender and process until perfectly smooth.
- Sauce can be used over pasta (Mac and Cheese), Nachos, etc.