Herbed Almond and Garlic Spread
- 1 cup bread, almond rice bread or whole wheat bread
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds
- 1/4 cup virgin cold pressed olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh basil*, parsley, or cilantro
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 - 1/4 cup water for a smooth spread
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
Blend bread and garlic in food processor or blender. Place in bowl and sprinkle w/lemon juice. Place almonds in food processor and grind. Add lemon soaked bread crumbs and process well. Add oil, herb, and salt. Add water for a smooth spread.
- Our favorite is basil. It's great on whole wheat French bread served along with spaghetti or lasagna.