This is a vegetarian chili recipe this is quick and easy to make. It has beans, veggies, tomatoes, and bulger wheat.
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 35 min
Total time: 45 min
Yield: 4 cups (3 servings)
- 2 tablespoons oil OR 1 tablespoon of coconut water
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 ripe, medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped OR 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can of kidney beans, pinto beans, or black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup canned tomato sauce OR 1/3 cup tomato paste mixed with 2/3 cup water
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup bulgur wheat
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sweetener
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice or cinnamon
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper and , to taste
- salt to taste
- Place the oil in a 4 1/2 quart saucepan or Dutch oven, and heat it over medium-high. When the oil is hot, add the onion, celery and garlic. (Can replace oil with 1 to 2 T. coconut water and steam vegetables until soft.) Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the onion is tender.
- When the onion is tender, stir in the remaining ingredients except the salt, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the saucepan with a lid, and simmer the chili for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Season the chili with salt, to taste. Serve hot.
- Top with tofu sour cream (optional)