This is a tamale pie recipe with lots of veggies and a cornbread crust on top. It is vegan and plant-based to provide a healthy alternative.
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 1 hour 10 min
Total time: 1 hour 20 min
Yield: One 9 x 13" casserole dish (10 servings)
- 1 tablespoon oil OR 1-2 tablespoons coconut water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 1 28-ounce can of diced tomatoes, drained
- 3-4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 15-ounce can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 15-ounce cans of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro, chopped (or 1-2 teaspoons ground cumin)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup corn flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 1/2 to 1 bunch green onions finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 cups water
- Heat oil in pan.
- Add chopped onions to pan and brown or steam on medium high for about 10 minutes or until soft and slightly browned.
- Add pepper, tomatoes, garlic, corn, black beans, and kidney beans. Mix well.
- Cook for approximately 15 minutes until peppers are softened.
- Pour mixture into an oven-safe dish.
- Add chopped cilantro and mix well.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Mix flour, cornmeal, corn flour, sugar, chopped green onions, salt, and baking powder together.
- In a separate bowl, mix oil and water together.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients well. Pour batter over the bean mixture.
- Bake 30-45 minutes until browned and firm to touch.