- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 large stalk celery, diced
- 12-14 cabbage leaves
- ¼ cup water
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons Bragg's Aminos
- ¼ cup filberts or almonds, toasted and chopped
- 1 cup soy cheese, shredded (optional)
- ⅓ soy parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced (optional)
Sauté onion and garlic in oil for 2-3 minutes. (Optional: add shredded soy cheese. You can also add 1 pound fresh sliced mushrooms. Sauté with onion and garlic.) Add carrot and celery. Sauté briefly, then add water. Bring to boil and cover. Cook over low heat for 3 minutes, then stir in rice, Bragg's and nuts. Wash cabbage leaves carefully, and steam in a large pot for about 5 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350°, place ⅓ cup of filling on each leaf. Roll the leaf around it lengthwise into a fat little pocket, tucking in the sides as you roll. Place the rolls in a baking dish, pour marinara sauce over, and bake covered for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue baking for another 10-15 minutes.