This is a tamale pie recipe with lots of veggies and a cornbread crust on top. It is vegan and plant-based to provide a healthy alternative.
- Bean Mixture
- 1 tablespoon oil OR 1-2 tablespoons coconut water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 1 28-ounce can of diced tomatoes, drained
- 3-4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 15-ounce can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 15-ounce cans of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ bunch of cilantro, chopped (or 1-2 teaspoons ground cumin)
- Cornbread Crust
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup corn flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- ½ to 1 bunch green onions finely chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
- ½ cup oil
- 2 ½ - 2 ¾ cups water
Heat oil in pan.
Add chopped onions to pan and brown or steam on medium high for about 10 minutes or until soft and slightly browned.
Add pepper, tomatoes, garlic, corn, black beans, and kidney beans. Mix well.
Cook for approximately 15 minutes until peppers are softened.
Pour mixture into an oven-safe dish.
Add chopped cilantro and mix well.
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Mix flour, cornmeal, corn flour, sugar, chopped green onions, salt, and baking powder together.
In a separate bowl, mix oil and water together.
Combine wet and dry ingredients well. Pour batter over the bean mixture.
Bake 30-45 minutes until browned and firm to touch.
Serve with salsa of your choice.