Indian Lentil and Spinach Dal
This is a great-tasting and healthy Indian dal recipe that is colorful and makes a great meal with rice.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 2 cloves pressed garlic
- 1 sweet pepper, diced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1½ cups dry red lentils
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp honey
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 10-oz can coconut cream
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Cook rice with 2.5 cups of water for 30 min. in a pot.
- In a skillet, cook onion with oil, garlic, ginger, sweet pepper, turmeric, ground coriander, curry powder, red lentils, and add 4 cups of boiling water. Cook together for 15 min.
- Add diced tomatoes and honey. Cook for another 10 min.
- Add in salt and coconut cream. Stir together and simmer for 5 min.
- Add in spinach and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in cilantro to top and remove from heat.
- After rice is cooked, add in frozen peas and mix together to warm peas up.
- Serve rice and dal separately.