Old Hungarian Bean Soup
This bean soups is one that will fill you up and warm your heart. It is a soup you will never get tired of. Hearty and delicious.
- 6 cups water
- 0.5 cups barley, soaked overnight
- 2 (15.5 oz) cans red kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
- 2 stocks celery, minced
- 4 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tsp liquid smoked
- 1 tbsp Hungarian paprika
- 1 tbsp savory broth mix (nutritional yeast, onion powder, dried parsley, dried sage, paprika, garlic powder, dried thyme, oregano, sugar, dried rosemary, turmeric, ground coriander seed, celery seed)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ cup grape seed or sunflower oil
- 5 tbsp all-purpose white flour
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- Combine the water, barley, beans, celery, carrots, onions, bay leaves, liquid smoke, paprika, broth mix, salt, black pepper into a large pot over high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer. Simmer, partially covered, until the vegetables and barley are tender, about 20 min.
- Remove and discard bay leaves. Strain out 2 cups of broth from the soup and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and mix well using a whisk. Cook the flour until it is dark golden brown. About 5 min. Continually whisking to avoid burning it.
- Stir the garlic into the flour mix and cook for 30 sec. Add the 2 cups of broth you set aside whisking continuously to avoid lumps. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour the flour mixture into the pot of soup and mix with spoon. Bring the soup to a boil over high heat and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer the soup until thick. Takes about 3 min.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.